The Power of Influencer Marketing
Last month, OCPRSA was lucky to spend a morning learning The Power of Influencer Marketing with industry experts, Marco Hansell, CEO/Founder of Speakr, Jeremy Shih, Director of Marketing at Mediakix, and Valerie Wasveiler, Account Executive at Mediakix. With coffee and a notepad in hand, we were all sitting at the edge of our seats as we watched examples of highly successful and engaging past campaigns.
Here are some key takeaways – and some campaigns we love – that show how brands can truly reach larger audiences, create content that resonates and leverage the power of marketing word-of-mouth with influencer marketing.
Influencer Marketing 101:
Influencer Marketing Doesn’t Stand Alone
○ Efficiently align influencer marketing into overall marketing goals and initiatives to generate the most impactful media and marketing campaigns. Amplify your influencer-generated content through paid social channels and get even more mileage out of it.
Influencers and Celebrities are Not Always One and the Same
○ While there is some overlap between celebrity and influencer marketing campaigns, influencer campaigns are designed to tap into an existing community of engaged followers. Influencers are specialists in their particular niches, and have established a high level of trust and two-way communication with their follower bases. Make sure your chosen influencers influence your campaign’s target market.
Influencer Marketing is Growing and Your Strategies Should Be Too
○ According to a recent study in 2016, 94% of marketers found influencer marketing to be effective. As a result, influencer marketing budgets are set to double in 2017.
Influencer Word of Mouth is Still More Powerful than Traditional Media
○ Today’s consumers shape their purchasing decisions based on the ideas and opinions of the people they trust most – their peers. In fact, 92% of consumers say they trust earned media, such as word-of-mouth and recommendations from friends and family, above all other forms of advertising. Direct influencer marketing programs inspire action with a brand’s’ target audience, whether it be launching a new product, engaging consumers around a new brand message or driving in-store sales.
Influencer Campaigns Leading the Way
Here are some great examples of partnerships that reflect each unique personal brand and align with the influencer’s content and audience:
Mediakix worked with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts to create a campaign where traditional marketing embraces social. Fairmont engaged 4 top influencers as they took trips to Fairmont properties around the world. Each influencer used his or her own trademark style to lend a unique perspective to the brand. Some of our favorites were:
● A stylistic interpretation of Hamilton Princess & Beach Club by influencer Blair Eadie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rSkmfXjas
● A thrilling visit to Hawaii with world traveler Louis Cole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcq0goCNmxk
Speakr partnered with one of the world’s top search engines to support the March Madness #BelieveIt campaign.. The campaign strategy included a 3-week long multi-media branded social strategy, leading up to the brand’s first ever NCAA Finals LIVE integration. The goal was to drive massive awareness and encourage/drive users to take an online challenge. The campaign was a sweeping success with 154 million impressions and trending twitter hashtags – and the brand saw increased brand awareness, affinity, and favorability.
And for a little food for thought, here is a great piece to learn about some more top influencer campaigns that are sure to rock 2017.